Please find below the most recent levee and floodwall update I was able to obtain from DPW. The update is a little bit confusing and raises certain questions (also see below). I’ve reached out to the DPW for clarification, but that might take a little time due to conflicting schedules and events. I’ll be sure to provide another update as soon as I hear anything else.
Thanks, and please feel free to reach out with any questions.
As you are aware the Department has been working with the USACE to address utility inspection needs and associated work as well as an impact to the flood wall created by local utility work. The utility inspection and follow-up repairs have been approved by the USACE and are moving forward per plan and USACE oversight. The directed utility restoration effort is approved by the USACE and will be proceeding in the upcoming weeks. These items are sufficiently addressed at this time. Necessary work will continue to meet the USACE required outcomes.
The Department was also informed this week that the IDNR Division of Water noted concurrence with the USACE submitted River Hydraulic Model and proposed revisions to the floodplain. This information in addition to other provided Department information will allow the USACE to make the necessary submittal for certification to the FEMA. The Department is aware that the USACE project team is in communication with FEMA to make the submittal of the sizable packet of technical information. I can send a follow-up notice when the documents are noted received by FEMA.
Also, the USACE and Department will be completing the annual inspection of the levee/floodwall system in June 2022.
(1) Most significantly, what now is the estimated timeline for certification and accreditation?
(2) Please describe in more detail the nature of the work required to address utility inspection needs and the expected timeline for completion.
(3) Please describe in more detail the nature of the work required to address the impact of local utility work and the expected timeline for completion.
(4) What does it mean when the DPW says “these items (above) are sufficiently addressed at this time?”
(5) When will USACE submit to FEMA the “sizeable packet of technical information” required for certification?
(6) What major milestones/activities may we expect between certification and accreditation?